Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Questions Without Answers

This is an excerpt from Elie Wiesel's chapter of Rav Pinchas Koretzer, cited here

“A disciple came to see Rebbe Pinhas of Koretz. ‘Help me, Master,’ he said. ‘My distress is great; make it disappear. The world is filled with anguish and sadness. Men are not men. have no faith in them, or in myself. I have faith in nothing. What shall I do, Rebbe, what shall I do?’  “‘Go and study. It's the only remedy I know.’  “‘Woe unto me, I cannot even study,’ said the disciple. ‘So strong are my doubts, so all‐pervasive, that they prevent me from studying.... What can I do, Rebbe, what can do?’  “... Rebbe Pinhas. of Koretz replied: ‘Know that what is happening to you also happened to me. When I was your age I stumbled over the same difficulties. I too was filled with questions and doubts.... tried study, prayer, meditation. In vain. Fasting, penitence, silence. In vain. My doubts remained doubts, my questions remained open. Impossible to proceed. Then, one day, learned that Rebbe Israel Baal Shem Toy [the founder of Hasidism] would be coming to our town. Curiosity led me to the house where he was praying. He turned around and the intensity in his eyes overwhelmed me. I knew he was not looking at me alone, yet I knew that I was less alone. Suddenly, without a word, I was able to go home, open the Talmud and plunge into my studies.  “‘You see,’ said Rebbe Pinhas of Koretz to his disciple, ‘the questions remained questions, my doubts were still as heavy with anguish, but I was able to continue.’ “

From an author who himself had many questions.  We don't see answers to our question.  In fact searching for answers may at best be a fruitless effort and may just make one more confused.  But by acknowledging that we are not alone with questions we can move forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment