Thursday, August 19, 2021

Close

From an email from the Rabbi of the Chabad at USC, Rabbi Dov Wagner. 

Dirshu Hashem behimotzo, krauhu behiyoso korov. Seek G-d when He is to be found, call out to Him when He is close.

Those are the words of the prophet in Yeshayahu. But what does that mean? When is G-d to be found - if He is eternal? When is He close - if He is everywhere?

The Talmud relates that verse to the month we're now in, the month of Elul (The Gemorah actually says it is the 10 days of repentance but there is also closeness in Elul.)  In this month "the King is in the field." Hashem is especially close to us as we prepare for Rosh Hashanah.

I experienced something yesterday that really brought this home. I got a call from another Rabbi: Could I go put on Tefillin with a patient at USC County Hospital. It's at least an hour round trip, things are a little hectic with Mushky's  (his daughter's) wedding next week, but how can you say no.

The patient was a young man who had undergone a brain surgery that morning. Turned out we know each other: he had been at the Chabad House several times with friends, and we had even hosted an impromptu sheva brachot for him after his wedding last year. He was pretty groggy, just a few hours after major surgery on the brain, but he really wanted to make sure he put on Tefillin. I helped him wrap as best we could, navigating around IVs and bandages. We said the shema and I helped him take off the tefillin. And he began to cry.

"I want to tell you something," he said. "I haven't missed a day of Tefillin in my life, since my Bar Mitzvah. But this is the first time I REALLY felt them."

We do mitzvahs and pray, we seek G-d and call out to Him. But sometimes He is to be found, He is close. Sometimes circumstances or inspiration or mood conspire to allow us to really feel it. And then it's up to us: Will we answer the call?

No comments:

Post a Comment